There are so many plastic surgery procedures nowadays that it’s easy to understand why people are getting more interested in the matter. Breast augmentation in Singapore is one of the most popular types of plastic surgeries, as it is all around the world.
If you want to achieve a larger breast size, then maybe a breast augmentation surgery would be suitable for you. In this article, you’ll read everything you want to know about breast augmentation in Singapore – from the cost to how to find the right surgeon.
As you probably already know, breast augmentation is a plastic surgery procedure performed to enhance breast size. It usually involves inserting breast implants underneath the breast tissue. The other way to perform breast enhancing is by a method called ‘fat grafting’ where fat from one area of the body is transferred into the bust.
The Implants used in Singapore
Breast implants come in two basic types: saline and silicone gel. The saline implants are filled with sterile saltwater, while the silicone implants are made out of the silicone. According to Dr Samuel Ho from Allure Plastic Surgery, in his experience most of the patients prefer silicone ones because of their natural feel. There is, however, some concern in patients if the silicone implants leak.
The shape of implants most used in Singapore
There are two basic shapes of implant shape as well – teardrop and round. A lot of patients prefer the teardrop shape because of their natural-looking shape. Some patients, however, feel like teardrop implants don’t look natural when laying down.
The texture of implants can be smooth or textured. Textured implants have lower rates of forming scar tissues around the implant, and they don’t move around as much. That being said, smooth types are preferable when their shape is round because they have a lower chance of rippling.
At the end of the day, choosing an implant depends on your personal preference or as recommended by your doctor.
Can anyone undergo breast augmentation in Singapore?
There are any specific requirements when it comes to undergoing breast augmentation in Singapore. One thing you have to keep in mind is that it’s best to undergo such a procedure over the age of 18. Another important thing you have to know is that patients below 21 need their parents’ approval before getting the surgery done.
There are some health-related requirements you have to keep in mind as well:
- You’re generally healthy – you have no current infections or serious health issues.
- You shouldn’t smoke – a lot of surgeons prefer if their patients don’t smoke soon before the procedure.
- You’re mentally healthy – as this is a procedure that will change the way you look, you must understand this factor before committing to surgery.
Finding the right surgeon in Singapore
Singapore can offer medical professionals and plastic surgeons with long years of experience in some of the most modern hospitals in the world. That being said, you always have to research and fact-check everything you read online – there are a lot of people performing this surgery without being certified.
There are a few tips on how to find the right surgeon for you:
- Ask your friends and family for a recommendation.
- Look for doctor directories with board-certified plastic surgeons.
- Choose a doctor who specializes in breast surgery and has at least 10 years of experience.
- It’s always a good idea to ask your surgeon about the number of breast augmentation surgeries performed by him/her. The bigger the number the better.
- Ask to see before and after pictures of their previous patient. Anyone with long years of experience will have a portfolio they can show to their clients.
And last but not least – look at your communication with the surgeon. They should make you feel comfortable enough to ask all the questions you want or have a pleasant conversation.
The consultation with your surgeon
Before committing to plastic surgery, you’ll always have to schedule a consultation with your surgeon of choice to discuss your expectations, overall health, and details about the procedure and implants. A consultation would usually last for around an hour in which you can get an overall sense of your doctor and clinic. During the consultation, your doctor will advise you on the different types of implants – their shape and texture and what would be best for your specific case. They will also suggest where to cut and position the implant depending on your expectations and current condition of your breasts.
The preparation for surgery
Several weeks before going in for the surgery, your doctor will give you advice on how to prepare for the surgery and you have to follow it strictly. Your surgeon will likely advise you to:
- Stop smoking or consume nicotine for at least 6 weeks before the procedure
- You might be asked to stop taking birth control because it can increase the risks of clots
- You will be asked to stop taking medications that thin the blood such as ibuprofen, aspirin, and medications containing such items.
- Don’t drink red wine too. It affects to thin the blood as well.
- If you’re taking any supplements, your doctor might advise you to stop taking them as well.
Recovery and downtime
Breast augmentation is an outpatient procedure so in most cases patients don’t stay at the clinic overnight. Patients will feel soreness in their breasts after the procedure but not pain because they still feel the effect of the anesthetic.
That being said, you might feel pain or bruise in the area which will go away in a couple of days.
Patients can return to their workplace in five days but you need to be careful about your activities and movements. Don’t lift any heavy objects or any strenuous activity for at least two weeks.
Your surgeon might also ask you to wear a surgical bra to get more support. The other important thing is to schedule regular visits to your surgeon to make sure you’re healing correctly.
The cost of breast augmentation surgery in Singapore
The cost for breast augmentation surgery in Singapore can vary depending on a lot of factors including the surgeon’s fee, the implants’ cost, whether the anesthesiologist’s fee is included in the final price, any medications you might get prescribed and more.
But for the surgery alone, you will probably pay 8000$ and up, and the whole process will likely cost you around 15,000$.